Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post #10

Do You Teach or Do You Educate?
This video shows the difference between a teacher and an educator. A teacher usually is known for giving out facts and testing you to see if you learned anything. An educator is on a more personal level. An educator is concerned with you overall. They may give advice in your personal life and show you how certain decisions you make now an affect you later. I want to be an educator. I really love kids and love to see them learning. I want to make a difference in my students life and help them grow into the best that they can be. I want to teach them the subjects required and life lessons because life isn't all about just taking test and making good grades. It's great to make those grades but we are in the world everyday facing different problems everyday. I want to teach them how to deal with challenging situations so that they know how to go about solving there problems or even avoid the problems. I want my students to be comfortable enough with me to come and want to talk with me about there problems. I want my lessons to stick with my students throughout there life.


www.google.com

Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!
I don't think that not letting them take pencils home is a good idea. Every student isn't the same and what work for one student may not work for another. So why would you stop them from taking pencils home? Just reading is not going to work for everyone. Some people need to actually write notes as they go or draw things for them to learn better. I think we should let students take pencils home and encourage them to find out what strategies work best for them.

1 comment:

  1. Morgan,

    I enjoyed reading you blog post about the video we had to watch. Through out the first part of the video the author gave definitions of what to teach meant. To teach means (1)to show or explain how to be something, (2) give information about or instruction in, (3)cause someone to learn or understand something. The definitions in the middle of the video for to educate means (1) enlighten, empower, (2) educator or one who gives intellectual moral and social instructions. I rather be an educator, what about you?
    Also for some reason I misses the metaphor about the "pencils" as well, I didn't see it fit to explain when the author clearly used pencils to express the metaphor. I knew he was really talking about a pencil but oh well. But anyhow keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete